Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Somebody Make Me: THE BEST DAMN PULLED PORK I'VE EVER HAD


On Halloween this year, my friends and I decided to have a laid back night in. We planned on posting up at Paul and Amara's house to pass out candy to the kids, and Marcella would to bring over dinner for us all. I always enjoy a home cooked meal, but I didn't expect to be obsessed with what she brought for us to eat. She "whipped up" pulled pork sandwiches with an apple coleslaw, and a whiskey fig spread. Oh. My. GAWD. I mean, it was so good, it should be illegal. I'm not joking. This isn't funny. I'm being very serious. You NEED these recipes.

Marcella Rose's Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Crisp Apple Coleslaw and Whiskey Fig Spread

 Dry Rub

  • 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoons coarse salt
  • 1 3 lb pork roast, shoulder or butt
Image

In Ashland, we have been recently blessed with one damn fine butcher; Boulton & Son.  This shop is not only stunningly set up with so many delicious items and ultra-local products, but the help is second to none.  The boys behind that counter can’t wait to share their knowledge and know-how, and they'll even let you have a taste or two.  Seriously, if you need meat, this is your place.  For those not in Ashland, take the time to seek out your local butcher; you won’t regret it!

Directions:

Place all items for the run together and mix.  Feel free to add and delete or change items to suit your personal tastes! Take ingredients and get in a get a little friendly with your pork, give it a nice rub down.  For added flavor you can put the pork in the fridge to let it get acquainted with the rub overnight.   If you don’t have time, don’t stress,  place the pork in a roasting pan and throw it in the oven at 300 degrees F for 6 hours.  For an 8 or 9-hour time turn the oven to 250.

Fig Whiskey Spread

Dice one onion and place around pork along with about 20 figs to bake with the pork.  When the pork is done take all the figs and onion and place in a blender along with all the juices from the pork and puree.  Add whiskey (or beef stock) as needed until the ingredients create a thick spread.

Image

Apple Cider Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider
  • 1/2 cup brown mustard
  • 1/4 cup molasses 
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Let all ingredients simmer together for 10 minutes or until the sugar has completely dissolved. Once the pork is done remove from oven and let cool until you can handle it, then with two forks begin shredding and add to sauce.

 Image
Crisp Apple Coleslaw
  • One head of cabbage shredded
  • 2 apples cut into match sticks- see photo
 Image
Dressing
  • The juice on one lemon or lime
  • Two tablespoons honey or sugar
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix all together and serve along side the pork with buns and spread! Delish!!

Image


Sounds incredible, right? I'm quite the pulled pork enthusiast, and typically order it if I find it on a menu, and hers is by far the best I've ever had. The spread, the apple slaw, and her pulled pork recipes combined make for a perfect storm of a comfort food experience.

Oh, here's a picture Marcella took of me after I had my first bite:





post by Amanda
recipe and pictures by Marcella Rose

2 comments:

Christine Parini said...

Love this..."You NEED these recipes!" You've got me convinced. I don't usually eat pork, but I'm gonna give this a try! Thanks!!

Village Shoes said...

Christine,

Words cannot describe how much I love this sandwich. I wish I were exaggerating when I say that I think about this almost everyday. Marcella has quite the knack for pairing flavors to create something truly spectacular.

Glad you're going to give these recipes a go...you won't regret it!

-Amanda